Friday, January 30, 2004

I was looking at Nimoy's photos again today. Generally, I'm quite skeptical of visual artists whose renown doesn't come from their visual art (think of Frank Sinatra's paintings), but Nemoy's work is quite good, in my humble opinion. (I really mean "humble;" I have very little background in art.) I find his egg photos particularly compelling, but I'd rather write about the Shekhina Project, since it's caused such a stir in the Jewish community. The author of this consumer review declares: "No religiously observant Jewish male (let alone a woman) would ever pray wear [sic!] religious articles like Tefillin while thus scantily clothed, let alone naked."

Look. Nimoy isn't a halakhic Jew these days. He's trying to capture a variety of spirituality that is entirely in keeping with an ancient Jewish mystical tradition. You can call this sort of incarnationism "pagan," but you'll have to take it up with the kabbalists.

Contrast the etherial sensuality of Nimoy's photos with Yona Wallach's kinky and rather grotesque poem, "Tefillin". Andrea notes that putting on tefillin represents betrothal to God. "It's sensual, not really sexual, and certainly not BDSM."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No comments: